Shoyei Miyahira was born in Aza Gaza, Okinawa on December 5, 1890. Kamata Shiroma was born in Aza Gaza, Okinawa on May 1, 1892. Circumstances on Okinawa were similar as with Seichi and Kame, but not much is known about Obaban and Ojiichan Miyahira at this time. Mom will need to do some research on the Miyahira side and contribute to this blog. One thing that is known is that Kamata lived to the ripe old age of 107! One thing about Okinawan women, they are reported to be the longest living in the world! More than Okinawan men, I think.
Speaking of which, a couple of years ago, Mom and I met Mr. Wallace Miyahira (not related to us) in Burger King. He was alone, and eating a Whopper and fries with coffee for lunch. He was then over 90 years old, and eating with gusto! I made a comment that his health was due to the fact that he was "Uchinanchuu" (Okinawan), and he said, "even better... Gazenchuu!" "Gazenchuu" is the Hogen name for those of us who can trace our lineage back to Aza Gaza village in Okinawa. We always used to have Gazenchuu picnics when I was young. We recently saw Mr. Wallace Miyahira at the Obon practice this year. He had planted himself in front of all the pot-luck food, and was eating with the same gusto that he had before (standing up!). By the way, he's lean - not heavy, he must burn it all off!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
He's got to be related to us somehow! I love that we got to know Obaban a little bit - I have such fond memories of her pleasant countenance, her excellent hostess demeanor and delicious fried tofu! My only regret is that I could not communicate with her very well.
lol. I think the trick is to eat healthy while young, so that you'll actually make it to a ripe old age. Then when you hit that ripe old age, you'll be able to eat whatever you want! lol ^_^
Hi Dad, I've returned to your page, in hopes you continue this blog! I'm amazed at the world our grandparents grew up in and what they had to endure.. I read somewhere longevity of the Okinawans was in part due to the way they cooked their food.. any thoughts on this? Traditionally do Uchinanchuu boil their meats?
Post a Comment