Recording a family history can be a daunting task. Where do I begin? I could start with the account of the creation in Genesis 1:1 and go through all of our genealogies up until the present time, but that would almost guarantee that this project would never get done. Instead, I decided that starting at the "present" and working backwards would be a much better approach for me. I quoted the "present" because that in itself is a relative term. What is the "present" now is already in the past as I continue to write this blog.
I imagine that this is destiny at work, since today is Father's Day 2008, and this is a good time to reflect on our growing family. As I write this, I sit in the house that my father, Joe Shigeru Yonashiro, built in Kahului, Hawaii, somewhere around 1960 with the help of many friends and family, especially with the help of Patty's father, master carpenter Wallace Yeisuke Miyahira. In fact, so esteemed was his help that at the house warming party the dedicatory cake had the words, "The House that Wally Built" proudly displayed.
Patty, by the way is my best friend and love of my life, my soulmate and kindred spirit. We have been married for thiry years come this September. In the course of that time, we have managed to clone four daughters. Jacqueline Kame was born in Kapiolani Medical Center in Honolulu, Hawaii on January 15, 1980. Victoria Kamata was born in Yokosuka Naval Hospital in Yokosuka, Japan on October 5, 1981. Elizabeth Eiko was born in Camp Lester Naval Hospital in Chatan, Okinawa on July 4, 1983. Constance Masako was also born in Camp Lester Naval Hospital in Chatan, Okinawa on May 5, 1985. The children are a joy to us and have enhanced and enriched our lives so much.
Jacqueline (Jackie) married Aaron Kauhimakakuokalani Auna in the Laie Hawaii Temple on June 22, 2004, and have two beautiful children. Elise Mahealani was born in Kahuku Hospital in Kahuku, Hawaii on April 4, 2005. Elijah Kauhimakakuokalani Yonashiro was born in Maryland on November 21, 2006. Aaron is originally from Hilo, Hawaii. The Auna family is now living in Bethesda, Maryland. Aaron is completing his master's degree in International Business at George Washington University, while Jackie raises her beautiful family.
Victoria (Vickie) married Jun Ito in the Laie Hawaii Temple on December 17, 2005. The Ito family is now living in West Jordan, Utah. Jun is originally from Tokyo, Japan. Jun is currently completing his bachelor's degree in Finance at Utah Valley University, while Vickie works as a Process Improvement Analyst-Quality Supervisor for OSI in West Jordan. They are also actively involved in starting a family business.
Elizabeth (Liz) and Constance (Connie) are now living in Salt Lake City, Utah. Liz is currently a student at the University of Utah and works as an Interior Designer at Lloyd Architects in Salt Lake City. Connie just graduated with a bachelor's degree in Communications from the University of Utah, and will be leaving this month for Taiwan, where she plans to teach English for a year.
As a family, we have lived in many places, starting with our marriage in Kaneohe, Hawaii. We have lived in Honolulu, Sagamihara in Japan, Awase in Okinawa, Seattle, Dillingham in bush Alaska, Longmont in Colorado, and then back to Maui, Hawaii. Thus, as the salmon in Alaska return to their spawning grounds to complete their life cycle, so have we returned full circle to the land of our birth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Thank you for inviting me to this family blog. This is written so beautifully, intertwining past and present seamlessly. I am excited to learn more about our family. For instance, I never knew about that cake or about Grandpa Wally helping to build the Kahului house. Amazing! I will try to help in any way I can.
It is amazing how lives have common threads....Jackie was born at Kapiolani Hospital and so was Aaron. Later Elise was blessed there.
It is amazing that Dad and I were sealed to Jackie in the Tokyo Temple (everyone else born under the covenant) while Jun's parents were married in the Laie Temple in Hawaii...like Vickie and Jun...and Jackie and Aaron.
^_^ I'm glad I was able to live in Maui, even for a short while because it reminded me that I do have roots! And at least someday I'll come back to them. I feel this is the beginning of a great blog...
Agreed with Con, also feel that this is just the beginning of a great and fun blog. We have a unique heritage....... and it seems lately I've been searching for a way to preserve our past for a richer future. This is an incredible tool in understanding where we come from. Thanks for starting this Dad! I look forward to reading everyone's rememberings. Love ya!!!
Thanks, everyone, for your great comments. A few errors and omissions have already surfaced, and I'm sure there are more. Mom reminded me that Elise was born in Kahuku Hospital in Kahuku, Hawaii, and later transferred to Kapiolani Hospital because of complications.
And Jackie, maybe you could let us know what Hospital and town Elijah was born in. That was an omission because I did not know.
Please let me know if you see any other errors or omissions. Thanks!
Post a Comment